Tuesday, May 17, 2011


"Add to the memory you keep. Remember when you fall asleep. Hold to the love that you know. You don't have to give up to let go..."
- Deadmaus, I Remember

The last time I hung out with Nick was at the London Elektricity gig a few years back.

I remember it was a particularly crisp Wednesday night in June (which was as good a night as any to go out when you're a recently separated, soon-to-be-divorcee). I was particularly pumped and headed to the Kings Cross club with Kimberley and Madz for a particularly epic gig. And meeting London Elektricity outside the venue as he arrived was the icing on the cake before the cake was even baked.

And I don't even think I paid to get in!
The crowd swelled between 8 and 10 for $5 happy hour. I drifted around the top of the mezzanine steps, mingling with my friends and whilst marvelling at the ceiling of lights flashing above the crowd.

By the time London Elektricity hit the decks, the crowd was bouncing off the walls. And the place truly erupted when LE dropped an epic party d'n'b hat-trick: Just One Second (Apex Remix)Deadmau5 & Kaskade‘s I Remember (J Magik & Wickaman Remix), and High Contrast's remix of MGMT's Time to Pretend. The rest of the set is a bit of a blur.
What I do remember was Nick urging me to stay and party later and longer than I usually would. And I did for a bit. I remember the silly corner down the back, a million photos being taken and and lots of laughs with Nick.


One of the best d'n'b gigs I'd been to in ages - and still is to this day. It really was a great night. And I'm glad this is how I get to remember Nick - enjoying one of the things he loved most. 
 
Nick was taken too soon and in the cruelest kind of way. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Vesper - the world will miss you, but never forget you.


No comments:

Post a Comment